Tuesday, February 22, 2011

"Mak'sogun" means "fat ass" in Cree.

View larger on black 
Both of my maternal grandparents can speak Cree, the native people of the plains of North America. It's funny to hear them speak it, partly because neither have any distinctly aboriginal physical traits (they both have almost completely European blood - it's long story), but mostly because the Cree my Grandmother speaks is quite nice sounding, and lyrical - and the Cree my Grandfather speaks is harsh and rough sounding. Grandma always scoffs at his trucker accent and then tells me how to say the word 'nice'. Like "Mak'sogun" - which means "fat ass" and when I refused to eat more because I was trying to slim down, she gave me that word. Good one!

View larger on black
I've lost a lot of what they taught us of aboriginals in school, in Canada it's a fairly significant part of the regular curriculum (I'm sure some would disagree, and I'm sure there could be improvements, but I remember learning - and being interested with - quite a lot of material). I would guess these are Algonquins, based on that they were included in a lot taken in Ontario and Quebec, but they could be Cree too - those Crees got everywhere!

View larger on black
I really need to pay attention and go to a pow wow. It's a cultural event! I love those! And there are some spectacular gatherings in Alberta, right on my doorstep. These are all Kodachromes from 1952-1955. Need some cleaning, probably could do a better job on the scan and sharpen up them up a bit - but then I'd have to get off my Mak'sogun!

3 comments:

  1. Yes. You do need to go to a Pow Wow!
    I love going to Pow Wows. I would be happy to accompany you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had to type "sabodge" in order to post my last comment.

    ReplyDelete
  3. SABODGE? Is that some kind of personal hygiene adhesive?

    ReplyDelete